This lesson contains an observation from a student about the difference between my teaching and the way IELTS is often taught.
Last week I asked you to write one perfect sentence, but this task caused more problems than I had expected. Here are my tips and correct versions.
This lesson contains a GT task 1 letter written by a student. The letter contains a lot of mistakes. Can you list them?
This lesson contains an IELTS Speaking Part 2 task and my sample answer: Describe an old building that you have visited.
Listen to a recording about the American philosopher John Dewey, and fill the gaps in the summary.
Here’s another quick ‘true, false, not given’ exercise.
Here’s another band 9 sample answer with essay plan and a quick vocabulary exercise.
Remember that grammar is only 25% of your score, and it’s easier to improve the other 75%.
In this lesson, I want to give you a challenge: Can you write one perfect sentence that contains no grammar or vocabulary mistakes?
The band 9 letter and list of vocabulary in this lesson could be useful for both general and academic IELTS students.
How do you answer questions about a topic that you are not interested in? For example, many people have no interest in dancing.
Many IELTS candidates lose marks because of spelling mistakes. See if you can spell the 10 words in today’s exercise.
Read the passage and choose the best title.
Here’s another band 9 sample answer with my essay plan and a quick vocabulary exercise.
Many IELTS students work hard but with the wrong aims. Their hard work takes them in the wrong direction.
In this lesson I’ll show you my introduction for the “radio and TV audiences” graph task, and I’ll ask you to write an overview paragraph.
In this lesson I’ll add two completed paragraphs to my letter outline, and I’ll ask you to write the final paragraph.
If you’re preparing for the IELTS speaking test, make sure that you have some ideas for the six common topic areas in this lesson.
Try this multiple choice listening exercise about multitasking.
In all IELTS reading tests you’ll find good vocabulary. When you read an interesting word or phrase, do you notice it and write it down?
Here’s my band 9 sample answer for the ‘best time to be alive’ question, plus a quick vocabulary exercise.
Here are five sentences written by members of this site. Can you find and correct the mistake(s) in each one?
Let’s start work on a new graph description task. In this lesson, I’ll show you my outline, and I’ll ask you to begin writing the report.
In this lesson we’ll begin working on a new letter task. We’ll start by looking at a perfect outline or plan for the letter.
What should you do if you encounter a strange question or topic that you haven’t prepared for or practised?
Here’s a quick exercise featuring some very fast speech! See if you can keep up and fill the gaps.
Read the passage about a study into sitting, and decide whether the statements are true, false or not given.
In this lesson we look at a more coherent plan for the “best time to be alive” question, and we start writing a paragraph for homework.
Here are 10 sentences written by members of this site. Can you find and correct the mistake(s) in each one?
Describing diagrams: In this lesson I use “signposting phrases” to improve two paragraphs about changes to a public park.